1. Decide if you want to use comic books or a reading novel to create your collage; this will probably depend upon what image(s) you decide to use. I chose to do a smaller 3-set collection of Spiderman, Doctor Octopus, and Green Goblin using Spiderman comic pages. I also decided to do 1 large Rohan horse banner using pages from the Lord of the Rings. (I had originally wanted to do the Tree of Gondor, but decided its parts were too thin to showcase the look I was hoping to achieve by using a book page collage.)
2. Find an image to use as a template online. The possibilities are endless here. Choose a fandom subject with strong symbols, images, or characters that can be recognized in silhouette. In addition to my choices, Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, Doctor Who, and the Avengers easily pop into mind. (Remember to please respect any copyrights.)
4. Cut your comic book or novel up and glue the pieces into a collage. If you're like me, this step will feel slightly dirty; even though I knew I was rescuing a once well-loved book and giving it new life. To keep parts and pieces secure, seal your project after finishing the collage; I used a light layer of modge podge on mine.
6. Glue or adhere your collage silhouette to your background poster board.
8. Add a mat to border your project (and to add some elegance) then frame and enjoy!
I still want to get a smaller frame for my Rohan horse banner. Right now it's too tall -I would rather my yellow matting border be equal all the way around.
Once I get an opportunity, I plan on hanging the Spiderman set in the stairway hallway.
What do you guys think? Any questions about the build process? Do you plan on making your own? If so, what fandom or image do you plan on using? Let me know in the comment below!