My fiancé and I are celebrating two years together this week. To commemorate the occasion, I wanted a simple but effective way of reminding him how much I love him. Since we're both big nerds, I decided what better way than to create a geeky love quote canvas collage for him?! The whole project was quite easy and inexpensive...the hardest part was deciding on which nerdy love quotes to use! Additionally, I was able to use up some of my leftover iron transfer paper from my Lord of the Rings DIY Tote Bag project.
- Geeky love quotes (see below for suggestions)
- Cotton canvas wrapped frame in desired size (mine was 11x14 in.)
- Iron-on image transfer paper (I used Avery Light Fabric Transfers that I got off Ebay for $6)
- Iron & flat, hard surface for the transfer stage
- Text editing program (I used Adobe Illustrator for my project for maximum control, but with a little extra effort, I'm sure even Word would work just fine)
1. Create your nerdy love quote collage in a text editing program. I used 15 quotes for my 11x14 canvas layout. The number you'll need will depend on your canvas size, the manner in which you lay your quotes out, and the font size of your quotes. Play around with the quote spacing, size, and placement until you get everything to fit just right! I searched for free fonts on Google to give my geek quotes some extra nerd-iness.
2. Test print your collage. My printer does not 'print to edge,' so I had to play with the print settings and my quote placements on the document to ensure they'd print as big as possible without being cut off.
*Remember to flip your image horizontally before printing, otherwise all words will be backwards once you transfer it to your canvas.
3. Once you've successfully printed a test sheet, print your collage out on the iron-on image transfer paper.
These quotes can help you make the perfect collage, whether it's for a nerdy anniversary, geeky Valentine's day, fandom-filled wedding, or just generally awesome home decor.
1. Lord of the Rings -Arwen
I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone.
2. Spider-man -Peter Parker
When you look in her eyes and she's looking back in yours...everything...feels...not quite normal.
3. Spider-man -Peter Park & MJ
'I want to give you the life you deserve to have. I want you to have everything you ever wanted--'
'Then like I said; you're out of your mind. Because the only thing I've ever wanted...is you.'
4. Aliens -Ripley
I will never leave you. That's a promise.
5. Star Wars -Han & Leia
I love you.
6. The Legend of Zelda -Bolero of Fire
It is something that grows over time... a true friendship. A feeling in the heart that becomes even stronger through time...The passion of friendship will soon blossom into a righteous power and through it, you'll know which way to go...
7. Sherlock Holmes -John Watson
The problems of your past are your business. The problems of your future are my privilege.
8. Battlestar Galactica -Adama
It’s not enough to just live. You have to have something to live for.
9. Buffy the Vampire Slayer -Spike to Buffy
When I say, 'I love you,' it's not because I want you or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are, what you do, how you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you. And I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are. You're a hell of a woman. You're the one.
10. Mass Effect -Kaidan
You know what, you're right, about everything. I think about losing you and I can't stand it. The galaxy will just keep going. Everything, even the Reapers will come around again. But you and I, we are important right now. This is what will never happen again. Us. -you make me feel…human.
11. Game of Thrones -Ygritte
'You’re mine,' she whispered. 'Mine, as I’m yours. And if we die, we die. All men must die. But first, we’ll live.'
12. Game of Thrones -Drogo & Daenerys
Yer Jalan Atthirari Anni ("Moon of My Life" in Dothraki)
Shekh Ma Shieraki Anni ("My Sun and Stars" in Dothraki)
13. Borderlands -Zer0's haiku
Get back on your feet
I will help you up, and then
We will kill more stuff
14. X-Files -Dana Scully
It seems to me that the best relationships, the ones that last, are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship. You know, one day you look at the person and you see something more than you did the night before. Like a switch has been flicked somewhere. And the person who was just a friend is… suddenly the only person you can ever imagine yourself with.
15. Serenity (Firefly) -Malcolm Reynolds
Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse… but you take a boat in the air that you don't love… she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down… tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.
16. Serenity -Saffron
I cried for I'd not dreamed to have a man so sweet. So kind and beautiful. Had I to dare to choose, I'd choose you from all the planets the night sky could show me.
17. Doctor Who -Season 6
There’s a lot of things you need to get across this universe. Warp drive, wormhole refractors… You know the thing you need most of all? You need a hand to hold.
18. Doctor Who -Metacrisis Doctor
I've only got one life. I could spend it with you, if you want.
19. The Secret World of Arrietty (Hayao Miyazaki / Studio Ghibli)
My heart is stronger now that you’re in it.
20. Harry Potter -Snape & Albus Dumbledore
Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape, and his eyes were full of tears.
'After all this time?'
'Always,' said Snape.
21. The Princess Bride -Grandfather
That day, she was amazed to discover that when he was saying 'As you wish,' what he meant was, 'I love you.' And even more amazing was the day she realized she truly loved him back. –
22. The Princess Bride -Westley & Buttercup
Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love — you think this happens every day?
23. Magic the Gathering -The Love Song of Night and Day
I am the sun, you are the moon. Wherever you lead I will go,
following across the wide sky, as long as I live and you love.
Sun follows Moon until she tires, then carries her until she's strong
and runs ahead of him again. I'll carry you, too, my beloved.
I cam across time for you. I love you. I always have.
25. The Nightmare Before Christmas -Jack
My dearest friend, if you don't mind, I'd like to join you by your side. Where we could gaze into stars, and sit together, now and forever. For it is plain to see, we're simply meant to be.
26. Star Trek II -Spock
I have been, and always shall be, your friend.
27. Finding Nemo -Dory
I look at you, and I'm home.
Love is a song that never ends.
A colorful edition...a bit too much for my tastes though. I think a collage done in varying shades of 2 close colors (i.e. blue and green) might look nice perhaps.
Want a collage, but don't have the time to make your own? Here's the PDF version of mine. I wasn't allowed to 'share' a few of the fonts, so those were altered, but please enjoy!