The western-inspired Japanese dish appears in shows such as Working’!!, Trigun, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE: Season 2, Fate:Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya, Show by Rock, the Studio Ghibli film -The Secret World of Arrietty, Log Horizon, Pokemon, Akame ga Kill, and more!
If that doesn't inspire you to cook this dish, then I don't know what will. To get us started, we'll begin with part 1 of 2, the sauce roux.
Ingredients for Cream Stew Roux
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms; white button mushrooms, shimeji, oyster mushrooms, or fresh shiitake will work
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk (you can use what you have on hand or what you prefer -I used skim. 2% will be a little thicker and provide a little more of a creamy flavor)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Instructions for Making the Stew Roux
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil on medium to medium/low heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook onions until they're soft and translucent, about 10 – 12 minutes. Be careful not to brown the onions (add a dash of water if necessary).
- Add garlic, and cook about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the mushrooms, and continue cooking until they're very soft, about 5 – 8 minutes.
- Whisk your flour into your milk.
- Turn the heat to low and slowly add the milk mixture to the onions and mushrooms, stirring well to incorporate the liquid before adding more milk.
- Once all the milk has been added, turn the heat to medium and bring it to a simmer. Simmer for 1 – 2 minutes, while stirring constantly, to cook the flour and thicken the roux. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Remove from heat and set aside until ready to use in the stew.
Ingredients for the Cream Stew
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into small chunks
- 1/3 of a head of cabbage, chopped into small pieces/strips
- 4 small potatoes, peeled and diced (I used red potatoes)
- 1 large piece of broccoli, with the florets cut into 2 inch pieces.
- 1 cup water
- 2 chicken broth cubes
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Instructions for Making the Stew
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium to medium/high heat in a large pot. Be sure it doesn't start to burn. Add your chicken, season with salt and white pepper, and cook until opaque on all sides. Do not brown the chicken. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the same pot you cooked the chicken in. Add the carrots and cabbage. Cook until softened, about 5 – 8 minutes. Do not brown.
- Add the water, chicken broth cubes, and potatoes to the pot. Stir to incorporate. Add partially cooked chicken back to the pot, arranging it on top of the vegetables in an even layer. Cover the pot with a lid, and gently simmer on medium to medium/low heat until the potatoes are just barely cooked, about 15 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the stew, stirring to mix in. Cover it with the lid and continue cooking for an additional 5 – 8 minutes, or until all the vegetables are cooked through and are tender.
- Slowly add your roux to the pot, stirring gently so as not to break up all your tender vegetables. Once it's fully mixed in, simmer the stew briefly for a minute before serving (with a nice hunk of crusty bread).
What anime shows have you seen cream stew in? Have you ever had it yourself? Share in the comments below.