Well, I wanted to make these cookies nerdy, so I gave them a fun name, inspired by the dark colored piece of chocolate at their center; thus, Harry Potter Dementor's Kiss Cookies. And yes, a fun, geeky name totally qualifies them as being a nerdy treat. To be honest, I think these would make a great dessert or snack at a Harry Potter themed party too.
Dementor's Kiss Cookie Recipe (aka peanut butter blossoms)
Ingredients (yields 20 large, or 40 smaller cookies):
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
2. Cream together the shortening, peanut butter, white sugar, and brown sugar.
3. Beat your egg, stir in the milk and vanilla, then combine into your mix.
4. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, then blend into your cookie dough.
5. Shape tablespoons of dough (2 tablespoons for large cookies) into balls, then roll in the remaining white sugar.
7. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie. Return the pan to the oven and cookie an additional 2-4 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool for your chocolate kiss to harden again.
*I didn't need to grease my cookie sheet -they slid right off.
**The cookies will flatten as they cook -leave them as dough balls before baking.
***By baking the chocolate kiss for a few minutes (rather than adding it after the baking process), your chocolate kiss will be softer and smoother for eating.