Menolly had detoured the Lower Caverns and shared with him the handful of meatrolls she'd caged from the cooks...
He helped himself to a handful of finger-sized meatrolls from the long tables set up near the kitchen entrance.
-Dragonriders of Pern, by Anne McCaffrey
- 1/2 pound pork sausage (if straight sausage isn't your thing, go half and half with ground beef)
- 1 tube of your favorite pop-open biscuits -I chose Pillsberry Grands! butter biscuits
- butter or egg (optional)
- any desired spices (my sausage and buttered biscuits were flavor enough)
2. Place a small blob of meat into the middle of the biscuit and roll it up. Seal the ends by squishing them together (you can use a swipe of egg to help seal them if you wish).
3. (optional) Brush melted butter or egg on top of the rolls before baking.
4. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
*Since you're making small rolls with little meat, you do not need to brown it before placing it in the roll and baking it.
We paired ours with green beans and au gratin potatoes for dinner. The au gratin cheese sauce made a perfect dip for the meatrolls too.