Next, the day turned out to be way too hot for me to even begin thinking about turning the oven on in our not-AC'ed apartment. No biggie, while the roasted nuts add flavor and depth, they don't have to be roasted. Finally, I got so wrapped up in cooking the meal that I nearly forgot to take any photos for you guys -doh!- so sorry about the lack of in-progress images. Nevertheless, I made it through and came out with a tasty dinner inspired by Paper Mario.
- 3 cups fresh (sweet) basil leaves -You can also use kale leaves or arugula
- 1.5 cups roasted pine nuts, almonds, and/or walnuts (I used walnuts this time)
- 2 small cloves of garlic
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- linguine noodles
- salt & pepper
2. Chop your basil leaves. I hand chopped mine to start, then threw them in my Ninja blender and did a couple cycles on the chop setting. Be sure to not blend them too hard, otherwise this will cause bruising.
3. Once your water starts boiling, throw the linguine noodles in to cook. At the same time, poor the basil leaves into a bowl, then add your nuts to the blender and chop them as well. Again, be sure not to blend them too hard or you'll end up with a gummy paste.
4. Pour your chopped nuts in the bowl with the leaves and add your Parmesan cheese. Mix everything together and add it all back to the blender. Pour in the lemon juice and olive oil and blend on low or chop until everything has been mixed. If you'd like your sauce a little thinner, I'd recommend adding a little chicken broth. Salt and pepper to taste.
Hope you enjoy! Let me know in the comments other fictional dishes you'd like to see made into real meals. Oh! And don't forget to finish off dinner with a Super Mario mushroom cupcake dessert.