Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1. Whip up a batch of meatloaf (see below for one of my favorite recipes).
2. Form your meatloaf into a hand shape. I personally just went at it freestyle. If you prefer to be more technical, feel free to purchase a large hand mold (squish your meatloaf into shape, then remove from the mold for baking). Watch the thickness of your fingers -making them too thin will cause them to burn before the rest of your meatloaf is done (I had no issues personally, but the cheese on top did get pretty crispy in these areas). If you're concerned about this happening, create a base layer of meatloaf below and between ('webbing') the fingers (naturally occurs if you use the hand mold).
3. Cut onion fingernails using a red or white onion. I sliced off a bit of onion, then trimmed each piece down into the rough shape of a nail using my kitchen scissors; I made sure the natural lines of the onion stayed with the front to back length of the nail.
4. Using the smaller, inner layers of your onion, cut out a round section to be used for the wrist bone.
5. Coat your zombie hand meatloaf with a glaze (again, see below for my recipe).
6. (optional) Your hand will turn out pretty ugly with just the glaze, but if you enjoy cheese, or want an even more extreme look, then cover the top of your glazed meatloaf hand with cheese (I'd recommend provolone or mozzarella).
7. Bake the meatloaf according to your recipe specifications. Remember that the baking time may be less than usual since your zombie hand is most likely thinner than your normal meatloaf.
8. Presentation...I had a hungry boyfriend, after his long day of work, so my presentation didn't go to full lengths; but definitely take the extra step yourself! Remove your meatloaf from its greasy cooking pan and place it on top of a bed made out of whichever side dish you may be serving. Mashed potatoes are a great option. If you need to, pipe some potato between the fingers to bring out the hand's details better (cut the tip of a ziplock bag off and squeeze out your potatoes).
9. Share with your friends and revel in the knowledge that something so gross looking can taste so good!
- 1.5 lbs. lean ground beef
- 3/4 cup crushed buttery crackers
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (1 oz.) package of dry onion soup mix
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 ketchup
- 2 tablespoons steak sauce
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Stir ground beef, crushed crackers, cheddar cheese, and onion soup mix together in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, ketchup, and steak sauce.
4. Add liquids to ground beef mixture and thoroughly combine.
5. Press into baking shape (normally a loaf, this time a hand).
6. Coat outside of loaf with glaze.
7. Bake in oven until center is no longer pink (this took roughly 35 minutes for my zombie hand).
Mix together 3 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
(Original design concept for the zombie meatloaf hand comes from not martha)
How'd your zombie meatloaf hand turn out?
Requests for other grotesque recipes and food items? Leave a comment below!