What you'll need:
- Muffin tin paper liners (preferably white or yellow)
- Round, flat, white candies (squish baby marshmallows flat, use the white varieties of M&M's or Skittles, Necco wafers, Smarties, white chocolate buttons/candy melts (my preference))
- Boxed vanilla/yellow cake mix (if you want to keep this super easy, otherwise see my tasty cake recipe below)
- Vanilla frosting (again, feel free to buy from the store if you want to keep things super simple, otherwise see below for my frosting recipe as well)
Food coloring or colored gel paste (using higher quality food coloring or gel paste will result in stronger colors while needing to use less):
- Blue (for mini mushroom)
- Red (for super mushroom)
- Green (for 1UP mushroom)
- Yellow (for coin mushroom)
- Black marker
- Prepare and bake the cupcakes according to the box's instructions (or follow my cake recipe below).
- Add the appropriate food coloring to your frosting and mix thoroughly (add a little at a time until the desired color is reached).
- Once your cupcakes are cooled off, frost them.
- Add your white candies or chocolates to simulate the mushroom spots.
- Use your marker to draw eyes on the cupcake liner.
- Share with your friends and enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour (recommended) or all-purpose flour (the cake flour will produce a lighter, fuller-top cupcake)
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract (or use vanilla bean paste for a stronger vanilla flavor)
- 1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or (you can substitute the buttermilk with 1/2 cup milk plus 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar or lemon juice- add either to the milk then set aside for 5 minutes before using)
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set the flour mix aside.
2. In a separate bowl beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment of a mixer on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
3. Add the sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
4. Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute).
5. Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture. Add half of the buttermilk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl. The batter should be thin.
6. Pour batter into your lined muffin pan. Fill to about 1/2-2/3 full.
7. Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350 degrees F. When an inserted toothpick comes out clean, then they are done. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove and allow to cool fully before frosting.
Buttercream Frosting (for 12 cupcakes)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 TBS whipping cream
- In bowl (using a hand or stand mixer) cream together sugar and butter on low speed. Mix until well blended. Increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
- Add vanilla and cream and continue to beat on medium speed for an additional 1 minute, adding more cream if needed for desired spreading consistency.
- Spread (or pipe) onto cupcakes as desired.
If you have cocoa powder or chocolate frosting in the house you can easily create a Goomba
mushroom cupcake too.